Microsoft acquired Maluuba a Toronto startup focused on using deep learning for natural language processing.
REASONS FOR ACQUISITION
- To set new milestones for speech and image recognition using deep learning techniques this acquisition was finalized.
- Microsoft to Outperform Facebook and Google in AI
- Along with acquiring the company, Microsoft has also established closer ties with Yoshua Bengio, a pioneer in the field of deep learning who served as an advisor to Maluuba, and will now become and advisor to Microsoft’s AI division.
- Maluuba will be integrated with Cortana, Microsoft’s digital assistant, to help consumers deal with everyday chores like email.
- Maluuba’s expertise in deep learning and reinforcement learning for question-answering and decision-making systems will help advance Microsoft strategy to democratize AI and to make it accessible and valuable to consumers, businesses and developers.
Maluuba was founded in 2011 and is based in Montreal and Waterloo in Canada
Tags: #DeepLearning #AI #Cortana #MachineLearning #Startup